Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mockingbird (mok'ng-burd) by Kathryn Erskine

I read this book in one day. It is a wonderfully written story of a young girl with Asperger's who is also trying to Deal With the loss of her beloved older brother in a school shooting. As an educator I have some limited experience with students who have Asperger's. Erskine does a fabulous job of communicating the day to day frustrations that students who have Asperger's must feel when just trying to get along in a world they don't understand and doesn't understand them. There is a great deal of emotion in this book and I can't imagine anyone reading it all the way through with a dry eye. It also has a relationship with To Kill a Mockingbird - one of my all time favorite books. I would recommend this book to anyone who would like a glimpse into the world of Asperger's - especially from a child's point of view.

No comments: