Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Where Does The Time Go?

Who said so many books, so little time? Whoever they were, they were right. Time is a precious commodity and not just time for reading. (I must admit, I do have that part of multi-tasking down. I always manage to find time to read.) What I can't find time for is all the other book related things. I have all these things I want to post on the blog, but the next thing I know days have passed and I haven't posted anything. I really do mean to catalog/organize my personal book collection, but the next thing I know weeks have passed and I've not even collected the boxes to start the organizing process. (And no, I'm not necessarily going to arrange my books according to Dewey. I just need to be able to find books when I want to look up something or loan one to a friend. However, I can easily locate my Caldecott and Newbery books - so maybe I'm not totally disorganized.)

I recently listened to The New Policeman by Kate Thompson on audio. (Listening to audio books while driving is a great way to work through your reading list.) J.J.'s mom just wants more time for her birthday. Time is leaking out of their world and into another. Sometimes, I think that's my life. All my time is leaking somewhere. I couldn't even finish this post in one sitting.

The New Policeman is a young adult book, but I believe adults will enjoy it, too. I did find the reader's voice rather irritating, but the snippets of Irish music made it worth while to listen to the audio version rather than reading it for myself. And it bought me a little extra time. :)

I'm currently reading Accessory to Murder by Elaine Viets (mysteries are my indulgence), A White Hourse Diary by Lady Bird Johnson and listening to Leven Thumps and The Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye. I'm rather disappointed in Leven Thumps and ordinarily, I wouldn't bother finishing it. I often say that life is too short to spend it reading a book you don't enjoy and don't have to read. However, my students are all reading this book, and even though I've not yet figured out its appeal, I feel I should finish it so that I can actually talk to them about it.

As my friend Betty Bookworm always says - "Read More Books!"

What are you reading?

No comments: