Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunrise Over Fallujah

I just finished this book. The writing is typical Myers - wonderfully well written. The man tells a compelling story. However, I was disappointed. While working on my MLS I had read Myers' Fallen Angels. Having liked that book I was looking forward to this one. Maybe it's because I'm a military spouse. Maybe it's because Fallen Angels was historical fiction for me and Sunrise Over Fallujah is current fiction. I just feel that on this one, Myers did not quite get the whole story. I do not believe war is glamorous. I was not looking for a hooah war story, but I do know that our soldiers have had positive interactions with the Iraqi people. It would have been a more balanced story if Myers had included that. When I started reading the book, I did not think that Myers was trying to make a political statement about the war, but maybe I was wrong. And, I sure wish the members outside the military community would get the terminology for Non-Commission Officers right. They are not noncoms. They are NCOs and anyone who has bothered to do a little research would know that. Ok - sorry. That's a personal pet peeve. If you can put aside your own thoughts about the war, this is a good book to read. As I said the writing is excellent. Maybe for my children, reading Sunrise Over Fallujah will be like my reading Fallen Angels

No comments: