Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Addiction

They say the first step to beating an addiction is to admit that you have one. Well, I’ve tried that before and here I am, still addicted with no desire to give it up at all. And just what is my addiction? Well, if you know me at all, you won’t have any trouble answering that question. BOOKS! Yes, I’m a bookaholic and I’m proud of it.

I have been addicted to books since I discovered they were the perfect escape from an unhappy childhood.

When I’m depressed or angry, walking into a library or a bookstore immediately makes me feel better. I love the feel of books and I wish they made a scented candle that smells of books/libraries.

I don’t just like to read books. I like to own them. I even have collections with my collection. Even when I have a stack of books waiting to read, I find myself checking out more from the library or ordering more from Amazon. (I guess you could say that Amazon is my enabler.) It doesn’t help that I enjoy several different series and they often lead to other series that I can’t resist.

Here are just a few of my addictions:

  1. Mysteries: cozy, thrillers, and police procedurals.
  2. Young adult novels: fantasy, realistic, mysteries
  3. Chick lit
  4. Historical fiction
  5. Fantasy

I could list the series themselves, but we’d be here all day. And the latest James Patterson is calling to me. Not to mention my teenager wants me to read Gone so we can discuss it. Got to answer that siren call.

So what are your reading addictions?

No comments: