Monday, November 8, 2010

Buzz Off by Hannah Reed


Summary from back of the book:

When beekeeper Story Fischer is on the case, you can run-but you can't hive.
It's September-National Honey Month-in Moraine, Wisconsin, and things are looking up for Story Fischer. Her messy divorce is final; the honey from her beekeeping business has been harvested; and the Wild Clover, the market she owns, is thriving. Life seems pretty sweet until her mentor in the honey business is found stung to death in his apiary.
Story is still trying to explain to the panicked locals that Manny was killed by wasps, not honeybees, when another body is found floating in the Oconomowoc River. This time the evidence points to Story's ex. Sure, Clay's a womanizer and a buzz kill-but a murderer? Desperate to save her bees and her business (and, okay, her ex), it’s up to Story to find a way out of a very sticky situation.

I had hear quite a bit of “buzz” about this book and was worried that it might not live up to all the hype. I shouldn’t have worried.  I loved this first book in a new series.

To put it in terms Story would appreciate:

·      The theme is different from any other series I’ve read. 
·      The characters will keep you on your toes. Their quirks and foibles (from P.P. Patty to Story’s overbearing mother) will keep the hive buzzing. You’ll want to read more just to see how Story handles them all.
·      The fact that Story is successfully following her dreams will serve as an inspiration for all women who want to make it on their own.
·      Readers will want read more to find out what happens between Story and Hunter.

As I’ve said before I already follow many cozy series, in addition to reading a great deal of young adult novels.  My to read list is longer than I am tall and adding a new series to the list is not something I do lightly.  Reed’s solid writing and well-developed characters made adding this to my list of series to follow a no brainer. I’m looking forward to Mind Your Own Beeswax due out in May of 2011.

No comments: