Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Book Review: Jane: A Modern Retelling of Jane Eyre by April Lindner



In the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that I received this ARC from the publisher.  They only requested I read and post my review of the book.  There were no requirements stipulated on the type of review.

Having said that, I’m so glad I received this review.  I’m a big fan of Jane Eyre.  I would not have believed it possible to find a well-written modern version of the Jane Eyre story.  I was wrong.  I could not put this book down. Lindner stays loyal to the original while giving it a believable modern twist.   Even though I knew the story line and knew what to expect next, I found myself eagerly anticipating each step in the story.

Jane Moore is forced to drop out of college after the sudden death of her cold and distant parents. Abandoned by her older brother and sister, Jane is forced to find a job.  She takes a job as a nanny at Thornfield Park, the estate of brooding and handsome rock star Nico Rathburn. As in the original Jane falls for her employer and is surprised to find he returns her feelings. Of course, Nico is embroiled in a mystery that threatens to ruin everything. Jane is torn between her feelings for Nico and the consequences of his secret.

Jane is an irresistible romance and a new classic.  This is an excellent story to study along with the original. I almost wish I were back in school so I could do just that.

Next up on the to read list: Awakened by Ednah Walters

No comments: