Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - I'm hooked another series!


Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher

Good Reads Summary:
Harry Dresden--Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties, or Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things--and most of them don't play too well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a--well, whatever.
There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.
Magic. It can get a guy killed.

I read this first book based on a recommendation from my friend Jim. I love it.  I really enjoy magical books and anyone who knows me, knows that I’m a mystery buff. So magic and mystery – what more could a bookworm ask for? 

Butcher paints a convincing picture of a typical hardboiled detective, down on his luck and with a somewhat cynical view of life.  But typical disappears when you add in the fact that Harry is a wizard.  That keeps Harry from being one of a dime a dozen typical detectives.

Butcher also manages to hook the reader by hinting at events in Harry’s past. Once you have determined that you like Harry you want to read more of the stories just to find out the details about what went on in Harry’s past.  Harry is very resourceful character. I liked how he used something reminiscent of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice to deal with something that was “bugging” him. Want to know what I’m talking about, you should read the book.

I guess you could say I’m hooked another series. I’m looking forward to the next book: Fool Moon.

What book are you looking forward to reading?


No comments: