Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holiday Break Reading Challenge Activity #14



Today’s task is to post your top ten reads from 2010.

I can’t ever do anything the simple way.  I couldn’t  pick just 10 (come on, so far in 2010 I’ve read 291 books – and I might finish a couple more before midnight tomorrow.)

So I compromised and picked my top ten favorites in Young Adult,  Picture Books, Juvenile Fiction, Mysteries and General Literature (though I think one of these might be considered non-fiction.)  Even with this compromise, my Young Adult list was still too long, but painful as it was, I did manage to trim it down to 10.  These are my picks – in no certain order.

Top Ten Young Adult Reads:
1.   Terrier by Tamora Pierce
2.   Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
3.   The Hate List by Jennifer Brown
4.   Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising by  Jason Henderson
5.   Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
6.   Awakened by Ednah Walters
7.   Graceling by Kristen Cashore
8.   Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
9.   Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
10.                Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Top Ten Mysteries
1.   A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams
2.   Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay
3.   Grace Under Pressure by Julie Hyzy
4.   Skein of the Crime by Maggie Sefton
5.   Murder at the PTA by Laura Alden
6.   Chapter and Hearse by Lorna Barrett
7.   Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini
8.   Sketch Me If You Can – Sharon Pape
9.   The Long Quiche Goodbye – Avery Aames
10.                Christmas at the Mysterious Bookshop

Top Ten General Fiction
1.   The Help by Kathryn Stockett
2.   Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
3.   The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
4.   Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
5.   Sarah’s Key by Tatianna de Rosnay
6.   Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
7.   Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by Donita K. Paul
8.   The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel
9.   House Rules by Jody Piccoult
10.                Hannah’s List by Debbie MaComber

Top Ten Picture Books
1.   The Three Questions by John J. Muth
2.   It’s A Book by Lane Smith
3.   Librarian on the Roof by J. G. King
4.   The Hair of Zoe Feefenbacher Goes to School by Laurie Halse Anderson
5.   Duck! Rabbit! By Amy Rosenthal
6.   Chalk by Bill Thomson
7.   The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco
8.   All The Things I Love About You by LeUyen Pham
9.   Olivia Goes to Venice by Ian Falconer
10.                Art & Max by David Wiesner

Top Ten Juvenile Chapter Books
1.   Clementine: Friend of the Week by Sarah Pennypacker
2.   Emma Dilemma and the New Nanny by Patricia Hermes
3.   Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper
4.   Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty Birney
5.   The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
6.   The Bread Winner by Deborah Ellis
7.   Big Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln Pierce
8.   Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman
9.   When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
10.                Word After Word After Word by Patricia MacLachlan


3 comments:

Julie said...

I like the way you did your lists! And I'm impressed, 291 books read!

Jason Henderson said...

You're absolutely my hero for putting Alex Van Helsing on your list. Fingers crossed that Book 2 is even better for you.

Booklady said...

Julie - I'm a complete bookaholic and I'm also a librarian. I often read when I should be doing things like cleaning and house and justify it by saying it's career related.

Jason - both myself and my 16 year old son really enjoyed Alex Van Helsing and are anxiously awaiting the next book.

Beverly aka Bookwoman/Booklady